Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 16 October 2014

Thursday Topic// Can You Be Feminist And A Beauty Blogger?

I am a feminist.

I first started to identify myself as a feminist at the tender age of sixteen when I started my AS levels. I had amazing teachers who encouraged us and invited debate and I started to realise that feminism and  women's rights were something I was deeply passionate about.

I think my brain's always been tuned to think this particular way. I remember reading Twilight for the first time and hating Bella because she was so passive and let the men in her life completely control her. I remember being completely outraged at school when one of my friends had her boob grabbed by a male student and no one blinked an eye because 'boys will be boys.' I remember being one of the only ones in my class who supported the 'pro-choice' abortion debate in RE lessons.

I think of all this and sometimes wonder whether I'm a hypocrite. I am a self-proclaimed feminist who writes a beauty blog.

I know feminism isn't black and white. Although in it simplest terms, feminism means supporting the equal rights of men and women. However, there's all sorts of tangents and arguments that will never be solved because there's no right or wrong answers.

As a beauty blogger, am I effectively promoting an industry that makes money exploiting women's insecurities? As I applied my makeup this morning, I realised how ridiculous the whole thing is. I was putting my self in pain by removing hair from my eyebrows. I was using a primer to eliminate the appearance of pores. I was using bronzer to make my cheekbones more pronounced and my nose slimmer.

I started to question myself why I was doing this. Was it to make myself more attractive?

Well, yes. I'd be lying if I said that wearing makeup didn't make me feel prettier. I think wearing makeup makes me look more alert, healthier, and I actually feel like I get more stuff done with makeup on. I'm not particularly self conscious without makeup; I've posted photos of myself on my blog without makeup on and uploaded a couple of youtube videos where my face has been bare. But, if I'm honest, I rarely leave the house without wearing makeup, even if it's applying a little concealer and lip balm to nip to Asdas.

Is this me conforming to societies perception of beauty? Am I wearing makeup because I want to make men and women think I'm attractive? Why do I want to make them think me attractive? Will they appreciate me more if I'm prettier?

I've spent the last five years studying literature that proves women are more than just a pretty face and something to be looked at. But by writing a beauty blog, am I just reinforcing this idea?

I know that makeup is more than looking attractive. It can be a form of self expression. I sometimes like to wear purple lipstick so dark it's almost black. My boyfriend and dad may not like it, but I do so I wear it.

For others makeup is an art form. It takes serious precision to create the perfect cat flick. Blending eye shadow is something that takes many hours of practice. I don't even want to think about contouring.

Makeup is also fun. I find enjoyment from doing my makeup, and even apply it if I'm not going anywhere. I love watching makeup tutorials on youtube, and testing lipsticks out in Boots. Can doing something that we enjoy be oppressive? After all, we're not being forced to wear makeup. We do it because we like it.

The beauty blogger community is dominantly female and is a community I feel is very supportive and friendly. Women have made careers out of beauty blogging (think Zoella Beauty, Tanya Burr etc) and this couldn't have happened without the support of other women and other beauty bloggers. Society has taught us that other women are our competition and we should tear them down (ever hear the stereotypical ' a group of women together leads to bitchiness) but I don't find this within blogging. Can something that leads to success for so many women be anti-feminist?

I could go on and on for ages as like I said, often with topics like feminism, there's no black and white answer and each opinion is subjective.

The beauty industry is complex, but so is feminism and so is life.

Beauty blogging is a hobby and something I will continue doing. Wearing makeup is a choice and something that makes me feel good, and something that makes me feel powerful. Making this choice implies ownership and states that I have complete control over my body. Yes, I may do it to look more attractive, but with women in the spotlight like Beyonce and Miley Cyrus, who use their makeup and fashion choices to own their sexuality, I feel there's nothing wrong with this.

The problem with makeup arises when women are forced to wear it. Whether this be at a young age to fit in with friends (this isn't a literal 'force' but more a peer pressure 'force') or because the beauty industry tells us we're not beautiful without it. It get's even more sinister when makeup is introduced as part of a dress code at work. I know there's even some jobs where you can get fired for having smudged lipstick (think air hostess.)

I know this is a long post and I applaud you if you read it all. I'm wondering what your views on the subject are? Whether you simply leave a comment, or write a long rambling post of your own, let me know because I'm interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment