Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Storage Idea: Vintage Suitcase

Anyone who knows me, knows I have an obsession with vintage, whether it's fashion or homeware. I frequently attend fairs in my hometown and love looking in little charity shops to see what I can find.

I recently got given an old vintage suitcase that had been found in my Nanna's house. I've wanted an old suitcase for ages, but my nanna's partner promised I could have this one once he'd cleared it out. Unless you've been living under a rock the past couple of years, you'll know that the trend 'shabby chic' has really taken off, with homeowners looking for old, slightly banged up trunks and chests to use as storage systems. I love this idea and wanted in on the action. 

I'm not exactly sure how old this case is, but I think it's at least from the 1930's which is crazy to me. I love the little illustration on the side and the luggage label which is from the original owner, who is a distant relative of my nanna's partner. 


If you want to follow this trend, I recommend looking in local charity shops and attending vintage fairs. I probably wouldn't pay more than £10 for a suitcase, and I'd be wary when buying. I've seen one shop who had a suitcase out on display with the sign 'retro' attached to it. Just because they say it's retro doesn't necessarily mean it is. Saying that, I'm not a vintage expert, so I'm not sure how you can tell how old a case is. 

The thing you want to look for with this trend is character. Some scratches and dint's add to the look, but you don't want to buy a case that's falling apart. You can even buy luggage stickers on ebay to make the case look more authentic. 


I like the look of stacked cases, but my rooms very small so I can't do that, but I think they also look great on their own. As to what to store in the case, the possibilities are endless. I'll maybe use mine for old uni coursework that I don't want to chuck away just yet, or perhaps use it as a memory case with old birthday cards, photos etc, I don't want to chuck away. 

But you could also use it for books, perfume, belts, bags... The list goes on. Remember if you're going to store something fragile, put the case in a place where you won't be moving it, or the things might get broken.

Do you like this trend? Would you use an old suitcase for storage?  

No comments:

Post a Comment