Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 26 June 2014

Glossy Box VS Birchbox (Offers+ Free Gifts)

I feel like I should write a little bit of a back story before I begin this post. I've never subscribed to a beauty box before although I've bought my sister a subscription as a gift. However, every month I read people's reviews and debate whether I should do it. Of course, there's the problem of which one to subscribe too as I have two best friends who subscribe to different ones and each claim theirs is the best.

Both June boxes looked so good, that I was contemplating buying them anyway. I stumbled across a discount code for Birchbox which allowed me £5 off, bringing the cost to about £7 including postage.

After I had paid, I received an email from Glossybox (who my sister was subscribed with) informing me that if I subscribed to at least a three month subscription, I'd receive another box worth over £30. I thought about this for a while as £40 obviously is a lot more than £7. However, I loved the June box and I believe next months is American Beauty Heroes so I decided to go for it.

I ordered my Glossybox 2 days after my Birchbox and it actually came yesterday, whereas my Birchbox arrived today.

I'll start with my Glossybox as they were the first ones that arrived. I know a lot of people have talked about this months box so I'm not going to go too indepth (though I probably will as I'm a very rambly person).


Nailgirls 3-in-1 base/topcoat & Nail Strenghener

This product is full size and is worth £13.50! I'm always on the look out for a good topcoat and haven't found my holy grail so maybe this will be it. Very impressed with this.

Teeez Trend Cosmetics - Beautiful Flat Stiff Brush

I love my makeup brushes and I'm always pleased to receive new ones whether this is with a magazine, in a goodybag etc. This one looks amazing with the colourful print and once again I'm very impressed. This brush retails at £19


L'Oreal Paris - Volume Million Lashes Black

Mascara's are the one product I don't really buy as I have so many and they have such a short use by date (not that I take any notice of it.) But I own a L'Oreal Mascara and it's one of my faves so it will be interesting to use this. Although I'm not overwhelmed with it, just because it's something I have a lot of, I imagine a lot of people will be glad to get it, and I love receiving new makeup to try as opposed to skin care products or hair products.


So Susan Cosmetics Concealer Quad

The reason I wanted the June box so much is because of the So Susan Cosmetics. I've never tried them before but they intrigued me. I actually wanted the blush as I feel like it doesn't matter about your skin shade with blush, but I received the concealer. I haven't used this yet, but I'm happy that there is four different shades so one will definitely match my skin. I'm intrigued about the white shade too. Again, another product I'm impressed with and costing £20, I have high hopes for it.


Rituals... Qi Gong -Spray

The only thing that wasn't linked to makeup is deodorant. I'm actually quite pleased about this as it's something I wasn't expecting, but something everyone would use. It costs £3.50, which is a bit more than what I usually spend on spray, but I'm interested in how well it works.

Now onto my mystery box that came free with it.

EMITE MAKE UP Lip Brush

Another make up brush! I'm so pleased with this as I don't own a good quality lip brush. This alone is worth £17.


MONU Spa - Warming Ginger Massage & Body Oil

It's stuff like this that sometimes puts me off buying beauty boxes, because although this may be a wonder product and I might eat my words, I just don't use stuff like this. To be fair, I don't really buy it either. I guess this is the problem of you can't please everyone. I don't know if I'll actually be able to use this as my boyfriend moans when he has to rub suncream on my back (he says it makes his hand greasy.)

MeMeMe Cosmetics - Beat the Blues - Pearl Pink.

Highlighting has become a firm favourite in my beauty routine so I'm so pleased to have received this. I love Benefit's High Beam and this seems like a cheaper dupe. This is £5.50 full sized so really affordable.

TRESemme Instant Refresh Cleansing Dry Shampoo

Another product I'm chuffed with. I use dry shampoo quite a lot so I will definitely get my use out of this.

Unica Cosmetics Radiance Plus

I don't know how I feel when I receive anti aging products because I'm only 21. This little pot would be great for travelling though, or popping some hand cream into it when it's empty for my handbag. This smells a mix between lavender and licorice which isn't the most pleasant. I'll probably give this to my mum and keep the pot.

I received my Birchbox after my Glossybox and was surprised at the size difference. The box is noticeably smaller but this wasn't really surprising when I opened the box. Whereas Glossybox give full sized products most of the time, I think all my Birchbox ones were samples. I ordered the Birchbox because I wanted to try the much talked about Beauty Blender (and see if it compares to my £1 Primark sponge which looks exactly the same.) I know obviously different people get different products, and unfortunately didn't receive it, but I thought Birchbox would make up for it somehow with their other products, which I don't feel they did.




Silk + Honey Shea Butter Hair Mask.

On the little card I received, it says that this is £55 for the full DIY set, whatever that means. The one thing I didn't like with the box is that although it said how much the full sized products were, it didn't say how much the samples were worth. I do like hair masks and I'm interested how this works for that price.

Jane Iredale Just Kissed Cheek & Lip Stain

I was quite annoyed with this product. It's so small, I just don't see the point in it. I noticed some people were receiving Yves Rocher lipsticks and I don't know if they were full sized or not, but if they were, why didn't we get full sizes of this product? I don't know, I just feel one full sized product would have completely raised the quality of this box, but I guess not. This product seems nice though, although I'm scared of losing it, it's so small!


Caudalie Vinoperfect SPF Day Perfecting Fluid

I've never heard of this brand before, but when reading other Birchbox reviews, some people seemed excited to receive this so I hope it's good. Again, another annoyance. I tried to squeeze some on the back of my hand but nothing came out. I had to literally shake the bottle a few times, just to get some product out. It was almost like the tube was half empty, and they could have filled it a bit more. Nevertheless, I'm excited to try this.

OPI Nail Lacquer

Probably the best item in the box was this nail polish in a lovely blue shade. I only own an OPI shatter polish but my sister used them at her salon. Although this is only a mini, I feel like I'll get a few uses from it.

Aromatherapy Associates

I don't really use bath oil, just because I've never bought it or been gifted it, so I was excited to get this, until I saw the size of it. This is enough for just one bath. It costs £39 full sized. How on earth am I going to decide to spend that much on an oil after using it once? I don't know, but again another disappointment.


Birchbox Keyring

I think this is a cute touch, although I won't use this keyring as it's not my taste.

Overall, I think it's safe to say that Glossybox won the battle of the boxes. I did have to spend £40, but just for these products alone, I'm happy about that, nevermind that I also have another 2 boxes on the way! With the Birchbox, I just feel it was hit and miss with a lot of people. I know everyone wanted the beauty blender, so I don't see when they have cult products like that, they don't just put one in everyones box like Glossybox did with the So Susan products. Maybe because I ordered at the end of June, or used an offer I got the leftovers that no one wanted, but it's definitely not a good way to encourage people to subscribe because I certainly won't.

Although I will use the little bags the Birchbox products came with to store my sample like they suggest. I do think that's a cool idea.

1 comment:

  1. I tried Glossy for about 6 months last year but went off it. I want to sign back up to one but can't decide which! Might try birch if it's only 7 pounds then decide! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete