Follow on Bloglovin

Monday 10 October 2016

Asking For It - Louise O'Neill // Review



I struggled to start this review, as this wasn't a book I was particularly looking forward to reading. The discussion of rape is a difficult topic and I knew that it wouldn't be a case of reading it for entertainment purposes.

I'd already read 'Only Ever Yours' by Louise O'Neill and I knew that she is a talented writer who discusses topics that are a bit controversial. 

There doesn't seem to be a week when there isn't a story in the media about sexual assault. You can't help but notice the victim blaming on social media, and this is something O'Neill really explores in her novel. 

Do not read this book expecting a happy ending. Like most sexual assault cases, there rarely is a positive outcome for the victim. There are a couple of moments that are difficult to read due to the details of the assault. It's not overly graphic, however if this is something that could potentially trigger you, I would read tentatively.

I would definitely recommend this book as I think it's an important subject that needs to be discussed more often. O'Neill writes beautifully, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.  



No comments:

Post a Comment